Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Fabulous Week!

So this week I have been helping with teens with disabilities. Meghan and I have been working with the kids from 16-18. It's been such a great week for me, and I have learned so much not just from the teens we are working with, but from our youth group devotion times as well. I think that the most defining point for me today was at lunch time. I was sitting with Adam (one of the kids in our group), and I asked him what he was planning on doing tonight and immediately he said he was going to go home and tell his mommy and daddy about how he went to the pool today. And it just broke my heart he sat there with his lunch box that his mommy had packed him eating his peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I was so heartbroken for this teen who would probably never be able to pack his own lunch, and who would always want to tell his mommy and daddy everything he did that day even if it was as normal as going to the pool. It was then that I realized how little I do to help teens and kids like this back in Pa. I was always afraid of them and having to take care of them, but in this moment I realized that they are just like a child, and not in a bad way. So hanging out with them is almost the same as if I were babysitting Callie, Selah, or any other child. I have loved every moment of my time here from the ride down with my crazy but lovable sister to the moment when I realized that I didn't need to be afraid of people with disabilities. Thank you all for your prayers and support, I couldn't have learned any of this without you guys!

Love Ya,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment