Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thoughts from an "adult"

The sound of the basketball is echoing in the gym and our kids are playing a game, using up the rest of their energy that they surprisingly have left. I don't know how or where they store it, but it's there!

We came on this trip, not even having a CLUE on what our projects would be. I was even complaining to Paul about not being able to pack the right stuff because I didn't know what I would be doing. I know...I really have to work on that complaining thing, huh...

ANYHOW, the suspense was SO GREAT the night we opened our envelopes Sunday night. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read "McLean Bible Church". That's where I go on Sunday nights!! It wasn't a painting job, it wasn't weeding, it wasn't a nursing home, it wasn't VBS---all things I'm familiar with. Comfortable with. Nope. Kids with disabilities. I should be fine with it, being a teacher and all. But no.

There are so many things that I could write about, but one thing really sticks out. It really hit me when, after being with the kids all day long on the FIRST day of camp, and being frustrated and feeling helpless and not being able to understand what the kid wanted, and just wanting my life to be normal again, to watch the moms come and pick up their kids. They were soooo happy and soo full of love for their child. They were excited to see their little one who God created perfectly according to Him. How can they be so happy? Their life HAS to be exhausting, and yet they are glad to get their kids back. It almost made me cry. Will I be able to love my child like that? Will I be okay if I have a child with disabilities? Will I be able to handle it? I always thought it odd that parents didn't care if their child was a girl or a boy, they just wanted it to be healthy.

I COMPLETELY understand now.

I thank God the gifts that He has given me. Things I didn't even know were talents, things I have been "good" at all my life. Like, by some magical reason, I was able to get suntan lotion on a kid who hated to be touched. How did I know what to say or how to act or how it even happened?? God. He did it. He gave me the experiences in my life to prepare me for everything. If you remember anything, remember this. EVERYTHING you go through, learn from it. No experience is a wasted experience. Nothing is done for "no reason."

~Abby~

No comments:

Post a Comment